The Gender Analysis Competency Framework is a description of the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to conduct gender analysis. The framework outlines the core competencies for varying levels of experience.
The Framework is broken into three sections:
- The 5 W’s (What, Why, Where, When and Who of Gender Analysis)
- How: Applying Gender Analysis
- Organizational and Cultural Support
While the competencies are separated out into individual categories, they are clearly interrelated.
The framework identifies three levels of competence: Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced. These do not necessarily align with seniority.
- Basic: Appropriate for those who are interested in understanding gender analysis or expected to participate in part of the process; or for senior leaders who need to know how to commission and interpret gender analyses.
- Intermediate: Appropriate for those practicing gender analyses in day-to-day work; or for those expected to work with experts.
- Advanced: Appropriate for gender advisors or those working in the area of gender equity; or for those who need to be experts in gender analysis.