Speaking at Digital Jove, a conference in Spain for digital creatives, Victoria Heath (GATE’s Digital Storyteller) examines the uses and abuses of storytelling and explains how we can be more responsible storytellers in the world of education and activism, particularly in regards to gender and diversity. In this presentation, she discusses a variety of storytelling examples from politics, education, advertising, and the news, and outlines six ways to tell stories more responsibly:
- Draw from truth and have integrity
- Understand your positionality and check your narrative
- Aim to change behaviour, not attitudes
- Provoke empathy, but give viewers a responsible action to take
- The narrative should frame the data, not the other way around
- Value your audience and engage with them
Watch or listen to the full presentation below.